Daily Current Affairs – 2020
Topic: For Prelims and Mains
Vehicle Scrappage Policy:21
Why in News?
The Finance Minister has announced the voluntary vehicle scrappage policy. It aims at phasing out old and unfit vehicles.
- Scrappage policy will encourage fuel-efficient, environment-friendly vehicles on the road.
- Thereby it will reduce vehicular pollution and the oil import bill
- Under the policy, vehicles would undergo fitness tests after a certain period of time. In the case of personal vehicles, the duration is 20 years.
- In the case of commercial vehicles, this duration is 15 years.
- Each fitness test will cost approximately Rs 40,000.
- Other than that, old vehicles will have to pay green tax and road tax.
- If a vehicle fails a fitness test, it will not get a renewal certificate and won’t be able to run on the road.
- The government has announced the policy with the view that this scouring policy will encourage the sale of new vehicles.
- Automotive manufacturers are also exploring vehicle scouring options.
- This can develop a separate industry which in turn will create more employment opportunities.
Facts for Prelims
- Recently the Supreme Court upheld the authority of the Tamil Nadu government to notify an elephant corridor through the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve.
- This corridor is located in the Masinaguri region in the ecologically sensitive Sigur plateau.
- Sigur plateau is located in the northern part of the Nilgiri district of Tamil Nadu.
- This plateau connects the Western and Eastern Ghats.
- Nilgiri hills on its south-west side and Moyar river valley are located in its north-eastern part.