Daily Current Affairs – 2020
Topic: For Prelims and Mains
The commission for Air Quality Management
Why in news?
The Commission for Air Quality Management in NCR and Adjoining Areas has recently reviewed the progress of switching over of Industries operating in Delhi to Piped Natural Gas with the Government of NCT of Delhi, GAIL and Indraprastha Gas Limited.
About The ‘Air Quality Management Commission:
The ‘Air Quality Management Commission’ was established in October this year under the ‘Commission Ordinance for Air Quality Management in the National Capital Region and adjoining areas’, 2020 (‘Commission for Air Quality Management in National Capital Region and Adjoining Areas Ordinance’).
It will supersede bodies like the Central Pollution Control Board and the State Pollution Control Boards of Delhi, Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan.
- This commission will have powers to issue directions to these state governments on issues related to air pollution.
- The ‘Air Quality Management Commission’ will be a permanent body and will have more than 20 members.
- The Commission will be headed by an officer of the rank of Secretary to the Government of India or Chief Secretary of the State Government.
- This Commission will have exclusive jurisdiction over the National Capital Territory (NCR) including the regions of Haryana, Punjab, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan in matters related to air pollution, and will work with the respective state governments and CPCB and ISRO.
Facts for Prelims
There have been at least six proven cases of Shigella infection and 20 other suspected cases in Kozhikode district of Kerala, most of them victims.
- Shigella infection is also called shigellosis. It is a type of intestinal infection caused by bacteria called Shigella.
- Symptoms: The main symptom of Shigella infection is diarrhea, which is often bloody.
- Shigellosis is one of the leading causes of diarrhea in India. In addition, the infected person has fever and abdominal pain.