Daily Current Affairs – 2020
Topic: For Prelims and Mains
State of the Education Report (SER) 2020
Why in news?
Recently, the state of education report for India [State of the Education Report (SER) 2020] has been launched by UNESCO.
Education status report:
This edition of SER focuses on technical and vocational education and training(TVET):
- Its aim is to provide technical support to the government.
- It is known that the government has already announced skill development as a major national priority under the Skill India Mission.
- There is a broad term, which refers to the study of technologies and related sciences.
- In addition, it also addresses the acquisition of practical skills, aptitude, understanding and knowledge related to occupations in various fields of economic and social life.
Importance of TVET
- Promoting youth employment and entrepreneurship.
- To promote equality and gender equality.
- Facilitating change towards green economies and sustainable societies.
Key features of the report:
- The report outlines the vision for TVET quality, which has also been included in India’s new National Education Policy 2020.
- In this vision, all educational institutions have been called upon to include vocational education in their courses.
TVET Delivery Current Status:
- As of today, more than 1,000 colleges are offering special undergraduate courses “Bachelor of Vocation”.
- Vocational education is being provided to more than 12 million students in government schools run by about 10,158 states.
Facts for Prelims:
- It was first seen in the cold desert region of the Himalayas (Himachal Pradesh).
- Himalayan sero resembles a hybrid between a goat, a donkey, a cow and a pig.
- It is a medium-sized mammal with a large head, thick neck, mule-like ears, and dark hair.
- Listed as ‘Vulnerable’ in IUCN’s Red List.
- Listed under Schedule-I of Wildlife Protection Act, 1972.