Daily Current Affairs – 2020
Topic: For Prelims and Mains
Why in News?
Ministry of Education, Department of Economic Affairs (DEA), and World Bank have signed an agreement for the financial support towards the implementation of the STARS project.
- [STARS – Strengthening Teaching-Learning and Results for States.]
- The proposed World Bank support is primarily in the form of a results-based financing instrument called Program for Results (P for R).
- This will ensure major reforms at the state-level through a set of disbursement-linked indicators (DLIs).
- STARS project will cover six states including Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Kerala, and Odisha.
- It will improve the quality of education for the identified states.
- It aims at improving the overall monitoring and measurement activities in the Indian school education system in selected states.
- It will draw on the existing structure under Samagra Shiksha.
- At the state level, the project will be implemented through the integrated State Implementation Society (SIS) for Samagra Shiksha.
- A State Incentive Grant (SIG) will encourage states to meet desired project outcomes.
- The SIG matrix has been aligned with the intermediate outcome indicators as per the requirement of PforR.
- An independent verification agency (IVA) will verify each result before disbursement of funds. To know more about STARS Project,
Facts for Prelims :
Global Climate Risk Index 2021
India was ranked the 7th worst-hit country in 2019 in this index, released by environmental think tank Germanwatch.
- This Index ranked countries according to their vulnerability to extreme weather events like storms, floods and heat waves.
- Eight of the 10 countries most affected between 2000 and 2019 were developing countries with low or lower middle income per capita.
- It said that the vulnerable people in developing countries suffered most from extreme weather events, whereas the impact of climate change was visible around the globe.
- It pushes for the need to support developing countries in coping with the effects of climate change.