Daily Current Affairs – 2020
Topic: For Prelims and Mains
‘Silver Line’ Project
Why in news?
The Ministry of Railways has granted in-principle approval for the ‘Silver Line’ project, a proposal of the Kerala government.
About the Project:
- It involves laying of semi high-speed trains between the two corners of the state of Kerala.
- It is 532- km long. The corridor will be built away from the existing line between Thiruvananthapuram and Thrissur.
- It aims to connect major districts and towns with semi high-speed trains that will run on their own tracks.
- The Kerala Rail Development Corporation (K-Rail), a joint venture between the Ministry of Railways and the Kerala government to execute projects on a cost-sharing basis, will be the nodal agency.
Pinaka Missile System
Why in news?
Pinaka Missile System developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) was successfully flight-tested from the Integrated Test Range, Chandipur off the Odisha coast.
More about :
- The Pinaka is an Artillery Missile System capable of striking into enemy territory up to a range of 75 kilometres with high precision.
- The Pinaka MK-II Rocket is modified as a missile by integrating with the Navigation, Control and Guidance System to improve the end accuracy and enhance the range.
- The Navigation system of the missile is also aided by the Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS).
- The mission achieved all the objectives including enhancing the range, accuracy and sub-system functionality.
- The missile system has been jointly developed by various DRDO Laboratories viz. Armament Research & Development Establishment (ARDE), Defence Research and Development Laboratory (DRDL) etc.
Fact For Prelims
- It is a large scale Anti Hijacking Exercise conducted recently by the Indian Navy in collaboration with Indian Coast Guard.
- The latest edition was held in
- Aim: To streamline the response mechanism/ preparedness to thwart any attempt to hijack a merchant vessel or attempt forced entry of a rogue/commandeered merchant vessel into Indian harbour.