Daily Current Affairs – 2020
Topic: For Prelims and Mains
Why in News?
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi recently chaired the PRAGATI meeting.
It marked Prime Minister’s thirty-third interaction through PRAGATI – the ICT based multi-modal platform for Pro-Active Governance and Timely Implementation, involving Central and State governments.
About the PRAGATI:
PRAGATI is an information and communications technology-based platform for, as the name reveals, pro-active governance and timely implementation( PRAGATI).
- It was launched in 2015.
- It is an interactive and integrated platform chiefly for addressing the grievances of the common man, while at the same time, monitoring government projects and programmes/schemes.
- The platform was designed by the PMO in coordination with the National Informatics Centre.
- The chief aims of PRAGATIplatform:
- Project implementation
- Project monitoring
- Grievance redressal
- The platform combines three technologies namely,
- Digital data management
- Video conferencing
The major features of this platform are described below.
- The system is a 3-tier system comprising of:
- Secretaries of the GOI
- State Chief Secretaries
- The PM will hold monthly interactions with the secretaries and Chief Secretaries via this platform. The interactions will take place on the fourth Wednesday of every month. The day will be called ‘PRAGATI Day’.
- The issues that will be discussed are picked out from the databases related to ongoing programmes of the government, pending projects and public grievances.
- The issues will take into account the various letters written to the PM by the common man and other people.
- The PM is able to see on screen the issues and the latest updates on them.
Facts for Prelims:
Andhra Pradesh government has launched “Abhayam” mobile phone application which helps women and children travelling in taxis and autorickshaws to raise an alarm in case of any emergency.
- To be operated by the Transport Department, the Abhayam app would help the women in alerting the police by pressing a panic button in the event of their landing in trouble.