Daily Current Affairs – 2020
Topic: For Prelims and Mains
Olive Ridley Turtle
Why in News?
The Zoological Survey of India has recently started tagging endangered Olive Ridley Turtles in Odisha.
- The scientists have recently tagged some turtles in Bay of Bengal.
- These tags are made of
- According to ZSI, it will tag 30,000 turtles to know their movement and migration route.
- These turtles will come to Rushikulya beach to lay eggs in February.
- Rushikulya beach is one of the largest mass nesting sites for turtles.
- Millions of endangered turtles come for nesting extensively along the Odisha coast including the mouth of the Rushikulya River, the Gahirmatha Marine Sanctuary and the mouth of the Devi River.
Zoological Survey of India:
It is India’s apex organization on animal taxonomy.
- Its objective is to promote survey, exploration, research and documentation on various aspects of animal taxonomy in Indian subcontinent.
- It also seeks advancement of knowledge on animal taxonomy.
- It was established in 1916 and headquartered in Kolkata.
- It has been declared as designated repository for National Zoological Collection as per section 39 of the National Biodiversity Act, 2002.
Facts for Prelims:
Khadi Natural Paint (Khadi Prakritik paint) :
This is India’s first paint made from cow dung, developed by the Khadi and Village Industries Commission.
- It is an environmentally friendly, non-toxic paint,
- It is the first product of its kind, which has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.
- Cow dung has been used as the main ingredient in this paint, it is cost effective and odorless. This paint has been certified by the Bureau of Indian Standards.
- This paint does not contain any other heavy metals like glass, mercury, chromium, arsenic, cadmium.