Daily Current Affairs – 2020
Topic: For Prelims and Mains
Why in News?
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has recently formed a technical expert group to study adverse findings from the National Family Health Survey-5.
The Ministry of Health has constituted the Technical Committee of Medical and Nutritionists under the leadership of Preeti Pant.
This committee will examine the findings of the National Family Health Survey-5 as well as suggest policies and actions to improve indicators related to anemia, malnutrition, C-section and stunting.
- The National Family Health Survey is a survey carried out on a massive scale across the country to collect information on many parameters which would ultimately help the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MOHFW) to frame policies and programs to help in the upliftment of the vulnerable groups in India.
- The first round of the National Family Health Survey was conducted in 1992-92. Subsequently, four other rounds have taken place, the latest being NFHS 5 that started in 2018-19.
Facts for Prelims
Bureau of Indian Standards:
Establishment Day was celebrated by the Bureau of Indian Standards- BIS on 6 January.
- The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) is a national standards-setting body in India.
- It functions under the aegis of the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, Government of India.
- The Bureau of Indian Standards was established under the Bureau of Indian Standards Act, 1986.
- BIS was given the status of a national standards body under the Bureau of Indian Standards Act (BIS Act), 2016.