Daily Current Affairs – 2020
Topic: For Prelims and Mains
National Survey & Mapping Organisation
Why in news?
The Survey of India is India’s central engineering agency in charge of mapping and surveying.
- Set up in 1767 to help consolidate the territories of the British East India Company, it is one of the oldest Engineering Departments of the government of India.
- It comes under administrative control of Department of science and technology (DST).
- Its members are from Survey of India Service cadre of Civil Services of India and Army Officers from the Indian Army Corps of Engineers.
- It is headed by the Surveyor General of India.
- Functions of survey of India:
- Survey of India acts as adviser to the Government of India on all cartography of India related matters, such as geodesy, mapping and map reproduction.
- It is responsible for the naming convention and spellings of names of geographical features of India.
- Scrutiny and certification of external boundaries of India and Coastline on maps published by the other agencies including private publishers.
- geodetic datum, geodetic control network, topographical control, geophysical surveys, cadastral surveying, geologic maps, aeronautical charts within India, such as for forests, army cantonments, large scale cities, guide maps, developmental or conservation projects, etc.
Demarcation of the borders and external boundaries of India as well as advice on the demarcation of inter-state boundaries.
Global Microscope on Financial inclusion report
Why in news?
South Africa, India, Mexico, Tanzania and Uruguay were among the top countries that safeguard e-money via some sort of deposit insurance or protection says the Global Microscope on Financial Inclusion Report.
Global Microscope on Financial Inclusion Report:
- The report is released by Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU).
- India ranked 5th as per the report.
From the report:
- As per the report India, Colombia, Peru, Uruguay and Mexico have the most favourable conditions for inclusive finance.
- India is placed among the top nations with the most conducive environment for financial inclusion in terms of allowing non-banks to issue e-money, proportionate customer due diligence and effective consumer protection.
The ranking was based on four parameters:
- Allowing non-banks to issue e-money
- Presence of financial service agents
- Proportionate customer due diligence
- Effective financial consumer protection
- Financial Inclusion is the process of. ensuring access to appropriate financial products and services needed by vulnerable groups such
- As weaker sections and low income groups at an affordable cost in a fair and transparent manner by mainstream Institutional players.
In case of India:
The National Strategy for Financial Inclusion:
- In India, the Reserve Bank of India has prepared a draft National Strategy for Financial Inclusion to deepen financial services’ coverage in the country.
- It is expected to be finalized in 2019 and will cover a five-year period.
- The RBI has set up a high-level committee to review the existing status of digitization and devise a medium-term strategy for increasing digital payments.
Facts for Prelims
Cyclone ‘Bulbul‘, recently affected Kolkata coast ,which lay around 930 km south- southeast of Kolkata.
Fordow Nuclear plant:
The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has recently confirmed that Iran had transferred Uranium Hexafluoride (UF6) to the Fordow Fuel Enrichment Plant (FFEP).
Fentanyl, also spelled fentanil, is a synthetic opioid used as a pain medication and together with other medications for anesthesia.
Fentanyl is also used as a recreational drug, often mixed with heroin or cocaine. It has a rapid onset and its effects generally last less than two hours.