Daily Current Affairs – 2020
Topic: For Prelims and Mains
National Portal for Transgender Persons
Why in news?
Union Minister for Social Justice & Empowerment Shri Thaawarchand Gehlot e-launched a ‘National Portal for Transgender Persons’ and e-inaugurated a ‘Garima Greh: A Shelter Home for Transgender Persons’ in Vadodara, Gujarat.
- National Portal for Transgender Persons has been developed within 2 months of Notification of Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Rules, 2020 on 29 September, 2020.
- The Portal would help a transgender person in applying for a Certificate and Identity card digitally from anywhere in the country.
- The most important benefit is that it helps the transgender person to get the I-Cardwithout any physical interface and without having to visit any office.
- Through the Portal, they can monitor the status of their application that ensures transparency in the process.
- The issuing authorities are also under strict timelinesto process the applications and issue certificates and identity cards without any necessary delays.
- Once the Certificate and I-card are issued, the applicant can download themfrom the Portal itself.
GRIEVANCES AND REDRESSAL MECHANISM:
- In case of delay or rejection, the applicant has the options to submit grievances through the Portal.
- This are forwarded to the concerned person and will be resolved at the earliest.
- The Issuing authorities through the Dashboard provided to them can view the number of applications received.
- The applications approved and the applications which are pending or put on hold so that they can take the required necessary action from their end.
- This portal will help a lot of people from the community to come forward and get Transgender Certificate and Identity Cards .
The Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act, 2019 came into effect on 10th January 2020 .
- It was is the first concrete step towards ensuring welfare of Transgender persons.
- It will be strengthened further in the coming days to act as a single point for the community to avail various welfare measures and benefits.
Garima Greh : A Shelter Home for Transgender Persons’ e-inaugurated today in Vadodara, Gujarat .
- It will be run in association with Lakshya Trust, a Community based organisation entirely run by the Transgenders.
- The purpose of the Shelter Home is to provide shelter to Transgender persons, with basic amenities like shelter, food, medical care and recreational facilities.
Facts for Prelims:
Andhra Pradesh government has launched “Abhayam” mobile phone application which helps women and children travelling in taxis and autorickshaws to raise an alarm in case of any emergency.
- To be operated by the Transport Department, the Abhayam app would help the women in alerting the police by pressing a panic button in the event of their landing in trouble.