Daily Current Affairs – 2020
Topic: For Prelims and Mains
Why in News?
The Nag River Pollution Abatement Project has been approved at a cost of Rs. 2,117.54 crores.
- This was announced by Union Minister Nitin Gadkari after chairing a meeting of World Bank officials, DG NMCG and Nagpur Municipal commissioner.
- The project , approved under the National River Conservation Plan, will be implemented by the National River Conservation Directorate, NRCD.
- It will reduce the pollution level in terms of untreated sewage, flowing solid waste and other impurities flowing into the Nag river and its tributaries.
About Nag River:
- The Nag River is a river flowing through the city of Nagpur in Nagpur city derives its name from the Nag river.
- Forming a part of the Kanhan-Pench river system, the Nag River originates in Lava hills near wadi.
- The Central Pollution Control Board of India is a statutory organization under the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change.
- It was established in 1974 under the Water Act, 1974.
- The CPCB is also entrusted with the powers and functions under the Air Act, 1981.
Facts For Prelims:
PMI or a Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI):
PMI is an indicator of business activity — both in the manufacturing and services sectors.
- It is a survey-based measures that asks the respondents about changes in their perception of some key business variables from the month before.
- It is calculated separately for the manufacturing and services sectors and then a composite index is constructed.
- A figure above 50 denotes expansion in business activity. Anything below 50 denotes contraction.
- Higher the difference from this mid-point greater the expansion or contraction.