Daily Current Affairs – 2020
Topic: For Prelims and Mains
Why in news?
Recently, there has been a demand to measure Indian economy on ‘Misery Index’.
- The first misery index was created by Arthur Okun in 1960’s and was equal to the sum of inflation and unemployment rate figures to provide a snapshot of the US economy.
- The higher the index, the more is the misery felt by average citizens.
- It has broadened in recent times to include other economic indicators, such as bank lending rates.
- In recent times, variations of the original misery index have become popular as a means to gauge the overall health of the global economy.
- A variation of the original misery index is the Bloomberg misery index, developed by the online publication.
Fact for Prelims
- A ‘fruit train’, said to be the first of its kind in the country, was flagged off from Tadipatri Railway Station in Andhra Pradesh carrying a load of 980 metric tonnes of locally grown bananas to the Jawaharlal Nehru Port in Mumbai.
- This is the first time in India that an entire train is being sent to the gateway port (JNPT) for export.
- This helps save both time and fuel as 150 trucks would have been required to send a consignment of this size by road to JNPT, which is over 900 km away, before the temperature-controlled containers are loaded on ships.
Nagoba Jatra festival :
- A month-long Nagoba Jatra festival has come to an end in
- Nagoba Jatara is a tribal festival held in Keslapur village, Indervelli Mandal Adilabad district, Telangana, thus the festival also known as Keslapur jatara.
- It is a huge religious and cultural event of the Boigutta branch of Mesram clan of the aboriginal Raj Gond and Pardhan tribes.
- During the festival, the maha puja of serpent god Nagoba is held.
Gond Tribe :
- Gonds are one of the largest tribal groups in the world.
- They mostly live in Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Telangana, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal and Odisha.
Gonds are subdivided into four tribes:
- Raj Gonds
- Madia Gonds
- Dhurve Gonds
- Khatulwar Gonds
- It has been notified as a Scheduled Tribe.
Pardhans are considered to be the junior branch of Gond tribe and are traditional bards to Gonds and recite mythologies, folk tales and songs of their gods and goddesses at various festivals, ceremonies and fairs for which service they are paid in cash or kind.