Daily Current Affairs – 2020
Topic: For Prelims and Mains
Lakshadweep- 2nd Organic UT
Why in news?
The Union Territory of Lakshadweep has been declared as Organic Agricultural Area by the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmer’s welfare.
- The UT is second after Sikkim to achieve the status of 100% organic region.
- It is first in the Union Territories of India to achieve the status.
Facts for Prelims:
Vadhavan Port Yojana:
The Union Cabinet has approved a proposal to set up a major port at Vadhavan near Dahanu in Maharashtra with a total cost of Rs 65,545 crore.
- This will be 13thmajor port in India.
- With the development of this port, India will become one of the countries in the top-10 container ports in the world.
- A special purpose vehicle (SPV)will be formed with Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT)as the lead partner, with equity participation equal to or more than 50% to implement the project.
- The port will be developed on the landlord model.