Daily Current Affairs – 2020
Topic: For Prelims and Mains
28th Sep 2020
About Kiliki language:
The new speech was invented for the terrifying warrior tribe called Kalakeya in the two-part Baahubali franchise. It now has evolved into a language with script grammar and more than 3000 words for everyday communication. It is considered as the world’s easiest language. This fictional language was created by popular lyricist and screenwriter Madhan Karky.
About International Mother Language Day:
- Observed every year on 21st February since 2000 to promote linguistic and cultural diversity and multilingualism.
- The idea to celebrate International Mother Language Day was the initiative of Bangladesh.
- It was approved at the UNESCO General Conference (1999) and has been observed throughout the world since 2000.
- The United Nations General Assembly had proclaimed 2008 as the International Year of Languages.
- The Ministry of Human Resource and Development along with educational institutions and language institutions is celebrating the day as the Matribhasha Diwas in the country.
Grey list of FATF
Topic: For Prelims and Mains
Why in News?
The Financial Action Task Force (FATF) has given an extension of four months to Pakistan to act against organizations involved in terror financing. Pakistan will remain in the Grey List.
- All deadlines given to Pakistan to check terror funding have ended and it has failed to complete its action plan in line with an agreed timeline and failed to check terror funding risks emanating from its jurisdiction.
- If Pakistan fails to prosecute, it will be penalized on terror funding acts by June.
- With Pakistan’s continuation in the ‘Grey List’,it will be difficult for the country to get financial aid from the IMF, the World Bank, the ADB and the European Union.
- This will further enhance problems for the nation which is in a precarious economic situation.
- Also, there is every possibility that the global body may put the country in the ‘Black List’ along with North Korea and Ir
It is an inter- governmental body established in 1989 on the initiative of the G7. Its Secretariat is located at the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) headquarters in Paris.
Member Countries: There are 39 member of FATF, representing most financial centers around the world. This includes 2 regional organizations- GCC and EC. The FATF Plenary is the decision making body of the FATF. It meets three times per year.
The objectives of the FATF are to set standards and promote effective implementation of legal, regulatory and operational measures for combating money laundering, terrorist financing and other related threats to the integrity of the international financial system.
- Grey List: Countries that are considered safe haven for supporting terror funding and money laundering are put in the FATF grey list. This inclusion serves as a warning to the country that it may enter the blacklist.
- Black List: Countries known as Non-Cooperative Countries or Territories (NCCTs) are put in the blacklist.
- These countries support terror funding and money laundering activities. The FATF revises the blacklist regularly, adding or deleting entries.
Facts for Prelims :
It is a joint military exercise between India and Maldives.
- In 1988, in response to a request from the Maldives, India activated Operation Cactus to deploy its military and ensure regime continuity in Male.