Daily Current Affairs – 2020
Topic: For Prelims and Mains
Khelo India Youth Games 2021
Why in news?
Sports Ministry includes Gatka, Kalaripayattu, Thang-Ta and Mallakhamba in Khelo India Youth Games 2021.
Khelo India Programme is a national yojana/scheme for the development of sports in India launched in 2018.
Know more about Khelo India Programme in the linked article.
The Khelo India Games 2021 are scheduled to be held in Haryana.
- Gatka originates from the state of Punjab.
- It is a traditional fighting style of the Nihang Sikh Warriors and is used in self-defence as well as sport.
- Kalaripayattu is a traditional martial art form originating from Kerala.
- It is believed to be the oldest surviving martial art in India and is also among the oldest martial arts in existence worldwide.
- Its origins date back to at least the 3rd century BCE.
- Thang-Ta is a martial art form from Manipur.
- It is a part of the martial art Huyen langlon.
- Thang-Ta means armed combat. The other aspect of Huyen langlon is sarit sarak (unarmed fighting).
- ‘Thang’ means sword and ‘Ta’ means spear – both of which are the primary weapons of Huyen langlon.
- Mallakhamba or Mallakhamb is a traditional sport, originating from the Indian subcontinent, in which a gymnast performs aerial yoga or gymnastic postures and wrestling grips in concert with a vertical stationary or hanging wooden pole, cane, or rope.
- Three popular versions of Mallakhamb are practised using a Sheesham pole, cane, or rope.
- In 2013, it was declared the state sport of Madhya Pradesh.
Facts for Prelims:
India International Science Festival:
India International Science Festival (IISF) to be held from 22 – 25 December 2020.
- IISF is an annual event organised jointly by science & technology-related Ministries and Departments of the Government of India and Vijnana Bharati (Vibha).
- IISF is a festival to celebrate the achievements of India’s scientific and technological advancements with students, innovators, craftsmen, farmers, scientists and technocrats from India and abroad.
- The aim is to engage the public with science and celebrate the joy of science and show the ways how science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) provide us with the solutions to improve our lives.
- The first IISF was held in 2015.
- Theme for IISF 2020: Science for Self-Reliant India and Global Welfare