Daily Current Affairs – 2020
Topic: For Prelims and Mains
Ken Betwa River Linking Project
Why in news?
The environmental clearance given for the lower Orr Dam by an Expert Committee of the Ministry of Environment of India has been postponed and the committee has demanded new figures.
The Orr Dam is part of the Ken-Betwa Interlinking Project.
About the Ken- Betwa Project:
- It is considered as a model project for interstate river transfer mission.
- The objective of this project is to transfer surplus water from the Cane River in Madhya Pradesh to the Betwa River in Uttar Pradesh, making Jhansi, Banda, Lalitpur and Mahoba districts in Uttar Pradesh of drought-prone Bundelkhand region and Tikamgarh, Panna and Chhatarpur in Madhya Pradesh Districts can be irrigated.
Benefits of Interlinking Project:
- Increase in water and food security
- Proper use of water
- Boost agriculture
- Disaster reduction
- Promote transportation
Facts for Prelims:
HL-2M Tokamak: The Artificial Sun of China:
China successfully powered up its “artificial sun” nuclear fusion reactor for the first time marking a great advance in the country’s nuclear power research capabilities.
- The HL-2M Tokamak reactor is China’s largest and most advanced nuclear fusion experimental research device.
Name of the mission: Experimental Advanced Superconducting Tokamak (EAST).
Location: Sichuan province
- The reactor is often called an “artificial sun” due to the enormous heat and power it produces.
- It uses a powerful magnetic field to fuse hot plasma and can reach temperatures of over 150 million degrees Celsius which is approximately ten times hotter than the core of the sun.
Scientists hope that the device can potentially unlock a powerful clean energy source.