Daily Current Affairs – 2020
Topic: For Prelims and Mains
Why in news?
The United Nations (UNCTAD) has declared Invest India- the National Investment Promotion Agency of India- as a winner of the 2020 United Nations Investment Promotion Award. The award ceremony took place on 7th December 2020 at UNCTAD Headquarters in Geneva.
About the Invest India:
- Invest India is the National Investment Promotion and Facilitation Agency of India.
- It acts as the first point of reference for investors in India.
- It is set up as a nonprofit venture under the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion, Ministry of Commerce and Industries, Government of India.
- The main objective of ‘Invest India’ is to facilitate foreign direct investment by providing practical investment information to enterprises.
- It provides necessary support to companies focusing on opportunities that contribute positively to the economic development of both countries.
Facts for Prelims:
HL-2M Tokamak: The Artificial Sun of China:
China successfully powered up its “artificial sun” nuclear fusion reactor for the first time marking a great advance in the country’s nuclear power research capabilities.
- The HL-2M Tokamak reactor is China’s largest and most advanced nuclear fusion experimental research device.
Name of the mission: Experimental Advanced Superconducting Tokamak (EAST).
Location: Sichuan province
- The reactor is often called an “artificial sun” due to the enormous heat and power it produces.
- It uses a powerful magnetic field to fuse hot plasma and can reach temperatures of over 150 million degrees Celsius which is approximately ten times hotter than the core of the sun.
Scientists hope that the device can potentially unlock a powerful clean energy source.