Daily Current Affairs – 2020Topic: For Prelims and Mains
India Innovation Index was started in 2019 by NITI Aayog to ascertain and evaluate India’s Innovation conditions. In second edition of this index Karnataka tops.
▪ The major objective of Index is to create framework for assessing India’s Innovation habitat.
▪ Index provides ranks to the states and union territories by analyzing Strengths, Weakness and Opportunities which helps government to boost innovation in different states and UT’s.
▪Karnataka continued to occupy the top position in the major states category while Maharashtra occupied the second place succeeding Tamil Nadu.
▪ South Indian states are at excellence in getting place in top 5 i.e. Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Telangana and Kerala.
▪ Himachal Pradesh tops in hill states category.
▪ While Jharkhand, Bihar and Chhattisgarh are lowest scorers.
The innovation inputs are measured through assessing five enabler parameters, and the output through two performance parameters.