Daily Current Affairs – 2020
Topic: For Prelims and Mains
Why in News?
Scientists at the Institute of Nano Science and Technology (INST), Mohali have recently developed an injectable hydrogel from a pigmented protein called C-phycocyanin found in spirulina.
The injectable hydrogel derived from spirulina can help accelerated wound repair in internal injuries and rapid healing in diabetic patients.
What is Spirulina?
Spirulina is an organism that grows in both fresh and salt water.
- It is a type of cyanobacteria, which is a family of single-celled microbes that are often referred to as blue-green algae.
- Just like plants, cyanobacteria can produce energy from sunlight via a process called photosynthesis.
- It also contains decent amounts of magnesium, potassium and manganese and small amounts of almost every other nutrient that you need.
Neel green algae:
Neel green algae (cyanobacteria) is a bacterial phylum, which produces energy from photosynthesis.
It is named cyano (meaning blue) due to the blue color of the bacterium.
Benefits of Green :
- Nil Green Kai is an organic fertilizer that paddy-producing farmers can easily prepare at their level.
- Nil green moss normally supplies about 25 to 30 kg per hectare of paddy crop.
- It provides around 800 to 1200 kg gram of central manure per hectare through its residue in each season after moss treatment, thereby maintaining the soil quality and fertile
Due to the use of Nil Green Kai as organic manure, about 400 to 500 Rs. Net income per hectare.
FACTS FOR PRELIMS
- It is a tulip garden located in Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir. It is also known as Indira Gandhi Memorial Tulip Garden.
- It is the largest tulip garden in Asia spread over an area of about 30 hectares (74 acres).
- The garden is located at the foothills of the Zabarwan mountain range.