Daily Current Affairs – 2020
Topic: For Prelims and Mains
Why in News?
Himalayan serow was spotted in the Manas Tiger Reserve in Assam.
It was spotted close to the border with Bhutan in Manas’s Bansbari-Mathanguri forest.
- The Himalayan serow is a subspecies of the mainland serow native to the Himalayas.
Common name: Himalayan Serow
Scientific name: Capricornis sumatraensi thar.
Local name: Jingal, Yemu.
Description: An appearance of a goat with long, donkey like ears, and a habit of standing with forelegs astraddle, make the Serow an ungainly goat antelope. Its coarse coat(long hair length than the Goral) varies from black to red.
- IUCN status: Near threatened.
- It is listed in CITES Appendix I.
Important Facts :
- In February 2021, birders had sighted the colourful Mandarin duck in the Maguri-Motapung wetland near eastern Assam’s Dibru-Saikhowa National Park. This duck was last spotted in Assam 118 years ago.
Facts For Prelims:
Bear market :
A bear market is when a market experiences prolonged price declines. It typically describes a condition in which securities prices fall 20% or more from recent highs amid widespread pessimism and negative investor sentiment.
Why in news?
Recently investors sold off stocks across the board leading to fall in the stock market indices.
What led to the sell-off in Indian market?
- Earlier, US 10-year bond yield climbed to 1.614% which was highest in a year due to concerns over inflation in the country.
- Due to this US Federal Reserve had to either lower the monthly bond-buying or to hike the interest rates.
- This affected the India markets as it is the major recipient of foreign inflows.
- The rising crude oil prices and increasing geopolitical tension between US and Syria also raised concerns among the investors.
- Moreover GDP data for the 3rd quarter which is yet to be released is also adding volatility to Indian market.