Daily Current Affairs – 2020
Topic: For Prelims and Mains
GIS One District One Product (ODOP) Digital Map
Why in News?
The central government has recently virtually inaugurated the capacity building component of the Pradhan Mantri Formalisation of Micro food processing Enterprises scheme (PM-FME Scheme) and launched the GIS One District One Product (ODOP) digital map of India.
- There are about 2.5 million unregistered, unorganised food processing enterprises which contribute to 74% employment in the food processing sector.
- Two-thirds of them are in rural areas and 80% of them are family-based enterprises supporting livelihood rural households and minimizing their migration to urban areas.
About the Scheme:
- It is an all India “Centrally Sponsored scheme” to be implemented over a period of five years from 2020-21 to 2024-25 with an outlay of Rs 10,000 crore.
- The expenditure under the scheme would be shared in 60:40 ratio between Central and State Governments, in 90:10 ratio with North Eastern and the Himalayan States, 60:40 ratio with UTs with the legislature and 100% by Centre for other UTs.
- It will provide financial, technical and business support for up-gradation of existing micro food processing enterprises.
- Under the PM FME scheme, micro-enterprises will get 35% subsidy on eligible project cost, with a maximum ceiling of Rs.10 lakh per unit.
- Support for marketing & branding would be provided to develop brands for micro-units and groups with 50% grant at State or regional level which could benefit large numbers micro-units in clusters
Significance– The Scheme would generate a total investment of Rs 35,000 crore and generate 9 lakh skilled and semi-skilled employment and benefit 8 lakh units through access to information, training, better exposure and formalization.
- It will reduce food wastage, increase farmers’ income, push for investments in the food processing sector and create employment opportunities.
- The Scheme adopts One District One Product (ODODP) approach to reap benefits of scale in terms of procurement of inputs, availing common services and marketing of products.
- The States would identify food products for a district keeping in view the existing clusters and availability of raw material.
- The ODOP product could be a perishable produce based product or cereal-based products or a food product widely produced in a district and their allied sectors.
- The Scheme focuses on waste to wealth products, minor forest products and Aspirational Districts
FACTS FOR PRELIMS
Indian Railway announced integrated Rail Madad Helpline number “139” for all type of queries/complaints/assistance during travel.
To overcome the inconvenience over multiple helpline numbers for grievances and enquiry during railway travel, Indian Railway has integrated all railway helplines into single number 139 (Rail Madad Helpline) for quick grievance redressal and enquiry during the journey.