Daily Current Affairs – 2020
Topic: For Prelims and Mains
Digital Bharat Digital Sanskriti
22nd October 2019
Why in news?
It is the e-portal of Centre for Cultural Resources and Training (CCRT) launched by the Ministry of Culture.
- CCRT is an autonomous organization under the aegis of Ministry of Culture.
- It was pioneered by Smt. Kamaladevi Chattopadhyay and Dr. Kapila Vatsyayan and established in 1979.
- It is one of the premier institutions working in the field of linking education with culture.
- Main Functions of CCRT –
- It organizes theoretical and theme based academic programmes on Indian art and culture for teachers and students.
- It Conducts Workshops to provide practical training and knowledge in crafts to be incorporated in school curriculum.
- It organizes various educational activities for school students, teachers and children belonging to governmental and NGO.
- It collects and develops a library of resources in the form of scripts, digital photographs, audio and video recordings and films.
- It prepares publications and other audio-visual material to provide an understanding and appreciation of the different aspects of Indian art and culture.
- It implements Cultural Talent Search Scholarship Scheme for providing facilities to young talented children in the 10-14 age group to study one or the other art form.
Why in news?
The World’s oldest known natural pearl discovered at a Neolithic site on Marawah Island, off the coast of Abu Dhabi.
- It is dubbed the ‘Abu Dhabi Pearl’ that have been radio dated to 5,800-5,600 BCE.
- The discovery proves that pearls and oysters were being used in the UAE nearly 8,000 years ago.
- Prior to this discovery, the earliest pearl was found in another Neolithic site off the coast of Abu Dhabi.
Facts for Prelims
- It is India Myanmar Naval Exercise going to be held in Visakhapatnam.
- INS Ranvijay, a guided-missile destroyer and INS Kuthar, a missile corvette will participate in the exercise.