Daily Current Affairs Answer & Explanation : 17 February 2021
The UMMID initiative aims-
- To establish NIDAN Kendras to provide counselling, prenatal testing and diagnosis, management and multidisciplinary care in Government Hospitals wherein the influx of patients is more.
- To produce skilled clinicians in Human Genetics
- To undertake screening of pregnant women and new born babies for inherited genetic diseases in hospitals at aspirational districts.
- A report shows that Invasive species may soon wipe out Shola vegetation from Nilgiris.
- The pastoral Toda community in the upper Nilgiris in Tamil Nadu is losing its Shola grasslands to invasive species.
- The ecosystem degradation is forcing the tribal population to migrate to nearby Mettupalayam, Tiruppur and Coimbatore districts for work.
- The district population declined by 3.55% between 2001 and 2011 Census reports to 73,500.
- The Indian Space Research Organisation is to set up its second launch port in Thoothukodi district of southern Tamil Nadu.
- The proposed launch port will mainly handle the Small Satellite Launch vehicle (SSLV), which is under development.
- SSLVs will be used to carry a payload of up to 500 kg and are expected to be deployed in the first half of 2020.
- The result of Swachh Survekshan League 2020 was recently released by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
- Under the category of cities with 10 lakh plus population, Indore topped in both the first and second quarters.
- Bhopal and Surat were ranked second and third in the first quarter respectively
- Madhya Pradesh recently recorded the highest forest cover in terms of area.
- Other high forest covers were recorded in Arunachal Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Odisha and Maharashtra.
- The State of Forest report is released biennially by the Forest Survey of India which is under the ministry of environment, forest and climate change.