Daily Current Affairs Answer & Explanation : 17 August 2020
State reorganization commission consisted of –
H N Kunzru
K M Panikkar
- The Commission recommended that India’s state boundaries should be reorganized to form 14 states and 6 territories.
- Andhra Pradesh was the first state to be formed on the linguistic basis.
S.K. Dhar Commission (1947) suggested the following criteria along with language for the reorganization of States:
- Geographical contiguity
- Financial self-reliance
- Administrative viability
- The Congress, in its Jaipur session in 1948, appointed a three member committee to consider the recommendations of Dhar Commission.
- The Committee is properly known as JVP Committee after the names of its three members – Jawaharlal Nehru, Vallabh Bhai Patel and PattabhiSitarammaiah
- Rayalaseema is proposed in Andhra Pradesh