Daily Current Affairs – 2020
Topic: For Prelims and Mains
25th September 2019
Why in news ?
According to a recent study published, black carbon particles emitted by the vehicular exhaust and coal-fired power plants, have been detected on the fetus-facing side of the placenta.
This is expected to affect the overall development of the unborn baby.
- Concentration of black carbon particles was highest in the placentas of women who are most exposed to airborne pollutants in their daily life.
- Inhalation of these particles by the mother gets translocated from the mothers’ lungs to the placenta, resulting in life-long changes to the development of the baby along with permanently damaging the lung tissues.
- The link between exposure to dirty air and increased cases of miscarriages, premature births, and low birth weights which in turn increases the chances for diabetes, asthma, stroke, heart diseaseand a lot of other conditions, has been established in this study.
What is Black Carbon?
Black carbon consists of pure carbon in several linked forms. It is formed through the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels, biofuel, and biomass, and is emitted in both anthropogenic and naturally occurring soot.
Harmful effects of BC:
Black carbon (BC) is a pollutant known to aggravate breathing disorders. Because BC particles strongly absorb solar and terrestrial radiation and heats up the atmosphere it can upset the monsoon system. If deposited on snow, it could accelerate the heating of snow and quicken the melting of glaciers.
Facts for Prelims
Ladakhi Shondol dance:
- This dance has entered into the Guinness Book of World Records.
- It is known as the ‘royal dance of Ladakh’.
- It is famous dance which was earlier used to be performed by artists for King of Ladakh on special occasion.
Dadasaheb Phalke Award :
- The country’s highest film honour, the Dadasaheb Phalke award, conferred for “outstanding contribution for the growth and development of Indian cinema” will be presented this year to Amitabh Bachchan.
- The Dadasaheb Phalke Award is India’s highest award in cinema. It is presented annually at the National Film Awards ceremony by the Directorate of Film Festivals, an organisation set up by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
The SASTRA Ramanujan Prize for 2019 :
- The SASTRA Ramanujan prize for 2019 will be awarded to mathematician Adam Harper, Assistant Professor with the University of Warwick, England.
- The prize carries a citation and an award of $10,000 and is conferred annually on mathematicians from across the world who are less than 32 years of age, working in an area influenced by the genius Srinivasa Ramanujan.
Every year, this prize is awarded by SASTRA University on its campus near Kumbakonam in Tamil Nadu, on Ramanujan’s birth anniversary, December 22.