Daily Current Affairs – 2020
Topic: For Prelims and Mains
Why in news?
Bhuvan Panchayat is a Web portal developed by ISRO.
- The Web Geo portal is developed for the benefit of Gram Panchayat members and other stakeholders, able to perform the following
- Database visualization,
- Data analytics,
- Generation of automatic reports,
- Model based products and services
- The targeted audience for this portal is Public, PRIs and different stakeholders belonging to the gram panchayats.
- ISRO National Remote Sensing Centre, which is the national repository of earth imageries, aids rural planners to plan and locate a healthcare unit, water harvesting, and rural communication network even from the panchayat office.
About the convention:
The Ramsar Convention was signed on February 2, 1971.
- It is one of the oldest inter-governmental accord signed by members countries to preserve the ecological character of their wetlands of international importance.
- The aim of the Ramsar list is to develop and maintain an international network of wetlands, which are important for the conservation of global biological diversity and for sustaining human life through the maintenance of their ecosystem components, processes and benefits.
- Wetlands declared as Ramsar sites are protected under strict guidelines of the convention.
- The convention dose not directly binds on the nation, but countries formulate policies based on it.
- The Ramsar Convention has adopted a Ramsar Classification of Wetland Type which includes 42 types, grouped into three categories:
- Marine and Coastal Wetlands,
- Inland Wetlands,
- Human-made Wetlands
- Recently 10 more wetlands from India gets the Ramsar site tag.
- Maharashtra gets its first, Punjab adds 3 and UP 6 to its list.
- The total number of Ramsar sites in India is now 37 & the surface area covered by these sites is 1,067,939 hectares.
- The new sites added are:
- Nandur Madhameshwar (Maharashtra)
- Keshopur-Miani (Punjab)
- Beas Conservation Reserve (Punjab)
- Nangal in (Punjab)
- Nawabganj (Uttar Pradesh)
- Parvati Agra (Uttar Pradesh)
- Saman (Uttar Pradesh)
- Samaspur (Uttar Pradesh)
- Sandi (Uttar Pradesh)
- Sarsai Nawar in (Uttar Pradesh)
Fact for Prelims
- Madagascar has been hit by a cyclone and there has been heavy flooding and landslips causing loss of lives and displacement of a number of people.
- Indian Navy launched ‘Operation Vanilla’ in support of the national disaster in flood-hit Madagascar and diverted a large amphibious ship to provide assistance.
- “INS Airavat, which was mission deployed has been diverted for the operation.
This operation signifies that Indian Navy has been the first responder for Humanitarian and Disaster Relief (HADR) in the Indian Ocean Region.