Daily Current Affairs – 2020
Topic: For Prelims and Mains
About the Tribes:
Asur is among the nine Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups( PVTGs) found in Jharkhand.
- Of the 32 different tribes recorded in the State, only four to five tribes, including Santhali, Ho and Kuruk, have recorded language scripts.
- As per the 2011 census, the tribe has a population of around 23,000 in Latehar and Gumla districts.
- In the community, 50% of population could barely speak in Asur language; they are not fluent in the language.
- The Asur language figures in the list of UNESCO Interactive Atlas of the World’s Languages in Danger.
- Only 7,000 to 8,000 Asur tribals are left in the community who are well conversant in the language.
- With help from tribal rights activists, Asur Tribal Wisdom Centre, an organization involving Asur tribals, was established at Jobhipat village near Netarhat to protect the language and culture of Asur tribals.
- Using mobile radio, the Asur community has been spreading the popularity of the language within their geographical limits.
About the Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups( PVTGs):
In 1975, the Government of India initiated to identify the most vulnerable tribal groups as a separate category called PVTGs and declared 52 such groups.
Characteristics of PVGT’s :
1. PVTGs have declining or stagnant population
2. Low level of literacy
3. Pre-agricultural level of technology
4. Economically backward
5. Generally inhabit remote localities having poor infrastructure and administrative support.
Facts for Prelims :
I-GOT Programme :
The Government has recently launched the iGOT (Integrated Government Online Training Programme) developed by Department of Personnel and Training, Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions.
- It will augment the existing training mechanism with online module-based training coupled with certification.
- The National Training Policy-2012 mandates that all civil servants will be provided with training to equip them with the competencies for their current or future jobs.
- The current structure of training for Government servants including domestic and foreign training is mostly available to very small section of the government servants.