Daily Current Affairs – 2020
Topic: For Prelims and Mains
ADMM PLUS Meeting
Why in news?
Raksha mantri Shri Rajnath Singh, recently attended the 14th ASEAN Defence Ministers’ Meeting Plus organized online at Hanoi, Vietnam that marked the 10th anniversary of ADMM Plus.
The ADMM-Plus is a platform for ASEAN and its eight Dialogue Partners to strengthen security and defence cooperation for peace, stability, and development in the region.
- ADMM Plus has played an important role in promoting dialogue and engagement towards a pluralistic, cooperative security order in Asia.
- It has worked on Maritime Security, Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief, Counter-terrorism and Peace Keeping Operations.
- The role of Indo-Pacific Oceans Initiative (IPOI) in the region also discussed.
- India called for respect for sovereignty and territorial integrity of nations, peaceful resolutions of disputes through dialogue and adherence to International rules and laws.
- The Indo-Pacific Oceans Initiative (IPOI)
About The Indo-Pacific Oceans Initiative (IPOI) :
- The Indo-Pacific Oceans Initiative (IPOI) was first suggested by Prime Minister Narendra Modi during the 14th East Asian Summit.
- It is also part of the SAGAR mission to expand and facilitate regional cooperation of India’s maritime neighbors.
Objective of IPOI:
- The Indo-Pacific Oceans Initiative’s objective is to strengthen maritime boundaries.
- It focuses on sustainable use of maritime resources is stressed upon.
- A partnership between ‘like-minded’ nations is the core principle of the IPOI.
- It promotes wealth creation, welfare promotion and cooperative strategies.
- It ensures free trade, good governance & mutual cooperation in the region.