8th Nov. 2019 Answer writing
(General Studies II)
Q. ‘Discuss the problems & issues related to the E- Waste generation in India / 250 Words
E–waste or e–scrap is the trash we generate from end-of-life electronic devices. E–waste recycling is the process of recovering material from them. India accounts for roughly 4 per cent of e–waste generated annually.
Impacts of e-waste:
Environmental- Degradation of environment by poor disposal & destroying soil
Health – lead, arsenic etc can lead to problems of skin/ nervous/heart
Economic– if recycled, they can lead to economic benefits.
Reasons behind India’s problem of e-waste:
- E-waste is still not seen at par with solid or liquid waste
- Unorganized sector
- Lack of infrastructure-
- High cost of setting up recycling facility.
- Lack of research
- Lack of incentive schemes-
- Accommodation & behavior of individual not to discard the used /waste electronic gadgets.
E waste management rules, 2016 – Provides for Enlarged definition, Extended Producer’s responsibility (Producers responsibility to collect and dispose e-waste), Deposit refund scheme etc. Before this, 2011 rules were in place.
Ineffectiveness of the rules:
- The law says that responsibility of producers is not confined to waste collection, but also to ensure that the waste reaches the authorised recycler/dismantler. But the annual returns filed by the producers are silent on this.
- India’s problems is illegally imported e-waste, the government has no record and simply banning import of e-waste does not solve the issue.
- Even if a fraud is detected the law is silent on the penal clause.
Way Forward :
- More e-waste recycling units needed
- Unorganized sector should also be brought under proper supervision and monitoring.
- From collecting to recycling, the awareness and legislation for e-waste should be similar.
- Government should come up with the schemes to promote this industry which would further boost the job generation in the present scenario of jobless growth.
- Each state should develop its own scrap yards to warehouse e-waste.
Thus India needs better mechanism of collections, segregation & recycling of e -waste. We need to be more aware of & sensitive with the using of electronic materials & their proper disposal.
Date- 08/11/2019 (Dept. of Content Development)