Daily Current Affairs – 2019
Topic: For Prelims and Mains
8th International Conference on Agricultural Statistics (ICAS-VIII)
19th November 2019
Why in news?
The 8th International Conference on Agricultural Statistics (ICAS-VIII) is being held from 18th to 21st November 2019 in New Delhi.
- Organised by: Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare in collaboration with the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation, International Statistical Institute – Committee on Agricultural Statistics (ISI-CAS), Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) and various other organizations.
- Theme: Statistics for Transformation of Agriculture to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals
- ICAS is a series of conferences, sponsored by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), World Bank (WB), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and other international development agencies.
- It was started in 1998 based on overarching need for agricultural data worldwide.
- It is conducted every three years and the last conference was held in Rome in 2016.
Facts for Prelims
Target Olympic Podium (TOP) Scheme :
- Target Olympic Podium (TOP) Scheme was formulated in 2014 under overall ambit of National Sports Development Fund (NSDF) with the aim to identify, groom and prepare potential medal prospects for the Olympic and Paralympic Games.
- Presently, nine sports disciplines viz.,
- (i) Athletics,
- (ii) Badminton
- (iii) Hockey
- (iv) Shooting
- (v) Tennis
- (vi) Weightlifting
- (vii) Wrestling,
- (viii) Archery and
- (ix) Boxing have been categorised as ‘High Priority’.
The National Sports Development Fund (NSDF) was established in November, 1998 under Charitable Endowments Act, 1890 with the aim of promotion of sports and games in the country.