7th Nov. 2019 Answer writing
(General Studies II /III)
Q. ‘The Indian ocean has social, cultural & economic relevance’. Explain with respect to India / 150 Words
Indian Ocean spanning around 70 lakh square kilometers is third largest ocean in the world.
- Harnessing economic cooperation from W-Asia/ Asian countries
- Coordinated approach to harness the blue economy ( BIMSTEC).
- Region is spine of global trade stretching from Strait of Hormuz to mallacca strait.
- Some 36 barrels per day or 40% of world’s oil travel through entryways in and out of Indian Ocean.
- Home to minerals like nickel, cobalt, iron and massive sulphide deposits of iron, manganese etc.
- Ground to nearly 15% of world’s fishing along continental shelves .E.g. fishing in the region has grown four times post 1980.
- Huge marine resources like sea weeds, corals underlying the region. E.g. Lakshadweep Islands
Social significance :
- Improving people to people contact
- Security improvement – National as well as human security
- Convergence of inter-state peace, rule based order
- Countering extremism, radicalism in the region through platforms of East Asia Summit & QUAD.
Thus India ocean plays very important role in the region. India needs to strengthen its Naval Power, better trade & coordination amongst the Indian Ocean countries.
Date- 07/11/2019 (Dept. of Content Development)