6th Nov. 2019 Answer writing
(General Studies II /III)
Q. To what extent The NITI Aayog has achieved its objectives since its inception? Discuss / 150 Words
Niti Aayog replaced planning commission with the following Objectives-
- Bottom up approach to policy making
- Participative discussion making & fostering cooperative federalism
- To crate knowledge base hub for better decision making & research
- To get new and innovative ideascome from all possible sources — industry, academia, civil society or foreign specialists — and flow into the government system for implementation.
- To Further overall development of the country
Niti Aayog has undertaken various initiatives for better governance-
- Initiatives like Ayushmaan Bharat, our approach towards artificial intelligence and water conservation measures, and the draft bill to establish the National Medical Commission to replace the Medical Council of India have all been conceptualized in NITI Aayog, and are being taken forward by the respective Ministries.
- Atal tinkering lab for innovation
- The division at governing council enhances cooperative federalism with schemes such as SATH – for transforming human resources
- Improving governance & ensuring minimum government through initiatives like NGO Darpan
However , there is a still long way to go as Niti Aayog faces challenges of –
- Too many responsibilities
- Slow acceptance of it
- Overlap with the function of other bodies
Way forward & Measures–
- Clear guidelines on functions of Niti Aayog to prevent the overlapping
- Adoption of more technology to improve the performance & effective results
- Growth outreach programme to local bodies
- Attract best talent of India to be part of think tank of India by offering lucrative career options.
Thus NITI Aayog could emerge as an agent of change over time and contribute to the government’s agenda of improving governance and implementing innovative measures for better delivery of public services.
It continues to be representative of efficient, transparent, innovative and accountable governance system in country with distinguished work ethics.
Date- 06/11/2019 (Dept. of Content Development)