Daily Current Affairs – 2020
Topic: For Prelims and Mains
40th Indian Scientific Expedition to Antarctica
Why in News?
India has recently launched the 40th scientific expedition to Antarctica.
This Indian expedition marks four decades of country’s scientific endeavour to the southern white continent. Vessel MV Vasiliy Golovnin will make this journey and will reach Antarctica in 30 days.
About The Indian Antarctic Program:
- The Indian Antarctic Program is a multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional program of the Ministry of Earth Sciences, the Antarctic and Ocean Research Center controlled by the Government of India.
- It started with the first Indian expedition to Antarctica in 1981.
- The program gained global acceptance with India signing the Antarctic Treaty and building the South Gangotri Antarctic Research Base in 1983.
- In 1990, Gangotri base was moved by Friendship base.
- Bharati is a new base launched in 2015, in which 134 shipping containers were manufactured.
Facts for Prelims
- Launched recently.
- It is the first of its kind digital platform for Ocean Data Management.
- Developedby s Services (INCOIS) of MoES.
- It includes a set of applications developed to organize and present heterogeneous oceanographic data by adopting rapid advancements in geospatial technology.
- It facilitates data visualization, data analysis to assess the evolution of oceanographic features, data fusion.