Daily Current Affairs – 2020
Topic: For Prelims and Mains
2DEG means – Two-Dimensional Electron Gas
Why in News?
Scientists have produced electron gas with ultra-high mobility, which can speed up transfer of quantum information and signal from one part of a device to another and increase data storage and memory.
- Scientists have produced electron gas with ultra-high mobility, which can speed up transfer of quantum information and signal from one part of a device to another and increase data storage and memory.
- A two-dimensional electron gas is a scientific model in solid-state physics.
- It is an electron gas that is free to move in two dimensions, but tightly confined in the third.
Producing a 2DEG in a Field Effect Transistor (FET) MODFET MOSFET. GaAlAs GaAs SiO2 Si.
- The need for attaining new functionalities in modern electronic devices has led to the manipulation of property of an electron called spin degree of freedomalong with its charge.
- This has given rise to an altogether new field of spin-electronics or ‘spintronics’.
It has been realized that a phenomenon called the ‘Rashba effect’, which consists of splitting of spin-bands in an electronic system, might play a key role in spintronic devices.
Facts for Prelims:
Dzukou Valley Reason for discussion: A fierce fire in the famous Jukou Valley, located on the border of Manipur and Nagaland, could be extinguished after two weeks of incineration, causing great damage to the environment.
About Zukou Valley:
- It is situated on the borders of the states of Nagaland and Manipur.
- It is famous for ‘Dzüko Lily’ flowers and these flowers are found only in this valley.
- Asian Highway-1 (NH-1) and Highway-2 (NH-2) also pass through its foothills.